Rajasthan SI Recruitment 2021 Cancelled After Five Years: High Court’s Landmark Decision Leaves Aspirants in Shock

The long-contested Rajasthan Sub-Inspector (SI) Recruitment Examination 2021 has finally been scrapped by the Rajasthan High Court after allegations of widespread irregularities and a paper leak. The ruling, delivered on Thursday (August 28, 2025) by Justice Sameer Jain, has sent shockwaves across the state as thousands of aspirants who had pinned their hopes on this examination now face uncertainty about their future.
Court Strikes Down Exam Amid Paper Leak Scandal
The 2021 SI recruitment exam was marred by controversy soon after it was conducted. Allegations of paper leaks and mass-level malpractice surfaced, leading to an investigation by the Special Operations Group (SOG) of the Rajasthan Police. More than 50 trainee sub-inspectors, along with several others, were arrested in connection with the scandal.
While the state government, led by the BJP, had opposed the cancellation of the exam, the High Court ruled in favor of the petitioners, citing evidence of large-scale fraud in the recruitment process. Senior advocate Major R.P. Singh, appearing for the petitioners, argued that the process was clearly compromised and the government failed to take timely action. “This judgment should serve as a lesson to those who attempt to play with the future of our youth,” he remarked after the verdict.
Political Reactions: Both Sides Claim Victory
Interestingly, the cancellation of the exam has been welcomed by leaders across the political spectrum, despite earlier differences. Agriculture Minister Kirori Lal Meena hailed the court’s decision as a “victory of truth,” noting that over 50 percent of selected candidates were allegedly unfit for service. “If such people had entered the police force, imagine the state of law and order,” he said.
On the other hand, the Congress party also lauded the decision. Leader of Opposition Tikaram Jully stated that the Congress has always fought for students’ and aspirants’ rights. He pointed out that it was the previous Congress government in Rajasthan that introduced stringent anti-paper leak laws, including provisions for life imprisonment, hefty fines of up to ₹10 crore, and confiscation of assets for those found guilty.
Jully further criticized the BJP government for presenting one stance before the public but taking a contradictory position in court. “While they pretended to support youth in public meetings, inside the courtroom they opposed cancellation of the exam. This double standard has been exposed,” he wrote on X.
RPSC Under Scrutiny
The High Court has also directed that allegations against the Rajasthan Public Service Commission (RPSC) — which conducted the exam — be reviewed by a division bench. The conduct and involvement of RPSC members will now come under judicial scrutiny, raising serious questions about the credibility of one of the state’s most important recruitment bodies.
Future of Candidates Remains Uncertain
The decision has left thousands of aspirants, who worked hard for the SI recruitment, in limbo. Many had already invested years of preparation, time, and money into this examination. The state government has yet to announce whether a fresh recruitment drive will be held or how it plans to accommodate affected candidates.
Parliamentary Affairs and Law Minister Jogaram Patel, when asked about the verdict, admitted that he had not studied the judgment in detail but assured that the government would respect the court’s order. “We will take appropriate steps in accordance with the ruling,” he said.
What Lies Ahead
The cancellation of the Rajasthan SI Recruitment 2021 adds to the growing list of exam-related controversies in the state. Just a few years earlier, irregularities in the REET Level-2 examination had also led to cancellation and re-conduct of the test, eventually benefiting over 50,000 youths.
For now, the High Court’s ruling stands as a strong message against corruption and malpractice in public recruitment exams. However, for thousands of candidates, the wait continues — this time, not for results, but for clarity on whether their dreams of joining the police force will still have a future.